Treasured Locks Blog
- Avoid stress and get plenty of sleep- stress can cause your body to divert energy being used to create healthy hair into doing other things leading to thinning hair and even hair breakage. To avoid this, it's important to take care of your general health including getting plenty of rest and doing stress reducing activities such as meditation, exercise, yoga, etc.
- Proper nutrition- your hair and skin are built of what you eat. Getting plenty of the building blocks that your body uses to make hair can ensure that the hair you have is healthy and grows long and luxurious. Protein (collagen) is important as are vitamins particularly vitamins A and B. Eating fruits and vegetables can also be helpful.
- Drink plenty of water- water is not only essential for your body to use to maintain all of its functions, it acts as a natural flushing system to help your body remove toxins. Getting plenty of water helps reduce the build up of toxins which can inhibit hair growth.
- Supplement- Certain nutrients are known to have benefits for hair and skin. Treasured Locks offers a variety of supplements in various forms (including a chewable Biotin supplement) that can help with hair and skin health.
- Take care of the hair you have- think of your hair as a collection of delicate fibers. How would you treat a silk scarf? We tend to abuse our hair with chemicals, dyes, and heat and then wonder why it's not as healthy as we would like. Styling our hair is something most of us appreciate, but we need to keep in mind that it can only stand so much abuse before it starts to break down. Keep the heat to a minimum. Avoid stripping the hair to dye it. Gently towel dry your hair after washing. Following these tips will keep the strands as healthy as possible through their lifecycle.
Coconut oil is a product that has taken the hair, beauty, and wellness industries by storm. Even though many women have been using coconut oil over the past few centuries - especially those who reside in tropical climates - its usage and awareness of the benefits seem to have increased massively over the past year [...]
We know you love our rewards program because you've told us. The program is even simpler to use now. All you need to do is sign in, redeem your points, and shop. There are no more coupon codes. Below is the process laid out step-by-step. Sign in. The purple arrow in the image below shows you [...]
Whether you go to a huge state school, or a small private university, stay close to home or travel across the country, college is a place to broaden your horizons and meet new people. For me this meant going from a high school where I could count the number of black girls with curly hair on one hand, to [...]
Several years ago I wrote an article about the state of the black hair care industry. At that time, most of the retail locations that served black communities were Asian owned. Most of the companies that made products for African-Americans were not owned by black Americans, with a couple of notable exceptions. And, most of [...]
Just in time for summer... after a long hiatus, we have Formula 103 for Ladies back in stock. You asked for it, we got it.Formula 103 for Legs and Bikini Line is a razorless hair removal cream like nothing else available. Formulated with herbal properties, it is effective, mild and easy-to-use removing hair [...]
You may have noticed some minor and not-so-minor changes in our store in the past few days. We have just completed a major migration of the store from where it has been hosted for the last 15 years to a newer, more robust platform. This migration was over a year in the works. Account management [...]
Black women outspend other women by a factor of two to six times (depending on which source you believe) when it comes to hair care. While we represent less than 10% of the population, we spend most of the money spent on hair care in this country. A black woman will take care of her hair- no matter what the cost. Hair care is [...]
One of our customers wanted to share her natural hair journey with all of you. Datoria successfully completed the transition from the world of relaxed hair to her natural hair. One question we get over and over again is "How do I wear my hair while making the transition?" Natural hair is [...]